25 July 2007

30 Rock Act Variability

I watched a few episodes of 30 Rock tonight, preparing myself to start on a new spec (putting my spec pilot on a back burner for the nonce). I was shocked to see that they're not tightly structured. I hadn't realized when watching them for fun, but it looks like Tina Fey just writes them however she feels them on a given week.


Episode Title/#TeaserAct 1Act 2Act 3Tag
Black Tie/1.121:505:509:503:50
The Source Awards/1.161:209:2510:50

The Fighting Irish/1.172:056:3011:50
:50
Cleveland/1.201:107:1513:00


I'm excited to get started on this spec; I've got a pretty solid A-story planned out, and Tracy Morgan/Jack Donaghy B and C stories should probably write themselves.

2 comments:

Christina said...

I've watched 19 of the 21 episodes over the past ten days, so when you're done... I'd be happy to read it. I love the show.

R.A. Porter said...

Wow, that's quite a mini-marathon you've been on!

I'll definitely take you up on your offer, if I can get past my horrible psychic block on breaking my A-story. I had a small structural problem with it, so I went back and changed it a bit, and now I can't figure out how to get from the beginning to the end. Each night I start, spend about 30 minutes staring at my screen, and then give up. I miss the room right now!

I did manage to get my hands on a couple of production scripts which I'll make available to the group in the next couple of weeks. I'm basically waiting for my mother-in-law to come back from her vacation so I can put her to work scanning all the pages. :)