07 August 2007

Third-hand Hearsay from Beyond the Grave



What with the Body Thetans attacking John Travolta on film these days, I'm reminded of a story.

So I used to work with a woman from Baltimore. Not that woman. So this woman was a graphic artist and had worked on this movie by John Waters. Maybe you've heard of it? Hairspray? Her job on the movie (as she told it, and as imdb sorta confirms) was to paint the roach dress (which, shockingly, I can't find a picture of). Okay, that's cool.

But what's much cooler is the story she tells about being in the car with the Truly Divine one. They're driving down the road, and see young Ricki Lake - the star of the movie - walking beside it. Divine yells out...

"Run the Bitch OVER!"

A sentiment I imagine has been expressed oh so many times, but never so eloquently.

So as the would-be Jonnie Goodboy Tyler missteps and mis-sings on the big screen this summer, remember what was and could have been. Remember Divine.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

*sniffle* Ah Divine. *sigh* Wish s/he was still around.

I have to say I am reluctant to see the film with Travolta as Edna. I really wish they had had Harvey do the role. He was excellent on Broadway and probably the best part of the show.

I recall Lori. *chuckle* Where on earth did we meet her? Harmon? Can't recall the last time I thought about her.

Actually, I can remember now. About 4-5 years ago, my friend Meredith had a friend make her the roach dress for Halloween! I don't have picks of that dress either though.

I will rent the movie when it is on DVD. Don't think it is worth seeing on a big screen despite it being a musical.

R.A. Porter said...

Yep. The "delicate flower" was a Harmonite. And frankly, I just remembered her because I've never forgotten that story about Divine! :)