28 January 2007

Writing more, writing less

I started blogging as a means of forcing myself to write something at least a few times a week. It's been pretty helpful for that, if nothing else. I've found myself lately actually putting in the hours on the longer pieces on which I'd been procrastinating for months (years, really) so I've had a little less time and inclination to post here. If I'm doing one or two productive hours a day on what I really need to write, I don't always make myself update here. Partly because I've achieved my short-term goal of daily writing, and partly because I start to feel guilty about taking time away from something more "substantial".

Well, I'm pretty immune to all forms of guilt (having a Jewish mother can work in two ways, the latter of which applies to me: it can habituate you to guilt, making you anxious your whole life; or it can inoculate you;) however, I'm still subject to pangs of self-guilt.* I was having a very productive evening writing what I need to get done until I hit a small stumbling block. I stared at the screen for about 15 minutes but couldn't figure out which of two obvious ways to solve my problem. I finally gave up. I hope tomorrow, a magical third way will present itself so I can leave in the joke I want without screwing up the structure I need. We'll see.

Anyway, I'm still feeling write-y (like chatty, but t'ain't no one respondin'. I should be going to bed so I can get up at a decent hour and walk Parker. Not to mention prepping some food for the week and getting back to writing...instead, I let my self-guilt about ignoring this doofy journal get the better of me. So I'm rambling. And about that endpoint, that the footnote indicates I might asymptotically approach? I have no idea where I should stop this entr


*That sentence is a bit sketchy with the nested appositives and subclauses, but while it may be painful to scan, I believe it can be parsed. That doesn't make it any less nasty, but I'm about 80% confident it wouldn't get a prescriptive grammarian's panties all bunchy. Why did I feel a need to write it that way? And why do I feel compelled to defend/discuss it? Uh, you've read the crap I write before, right? That's just the kind of weenie I am. Sometimes, and tonight is one of those times, I start writing and can't really find a good stopping point. See main text above where I elaborate on that point. Hmm...my footnote's back-referencing the main text? Now that's just frickin' weird. Even for me.

1 comments:

Angie Pansey said...

Haha. You said "Taint".