15 December 2008

Christmas in Maui

Julie Gray ran another short scene comp. Joshua James won with a beautiful, quiet scene that tugged hard on the heartstrings. He totally kicked my scene's ass, but I wrote it, so y'all should see it.

INT. STORE - DAY

Whirling snow, howling wind. Over the wind we hear...

SANTA (O.S.)

Clara, Clara honey? Can you hear me? I’m grounded in Maine. Freak blizzard, came out of nowhere.

(beat)

We were lucky to find a clearing. Even with Rudolf’s high beams on, I can’t see past my nose.

(beat)

I’m plenty warm, don’t you worry. Get some rest and don’t let the elves eat all my Christmas cookies! We’ll be home tomorrow.

The camera pulls back to reveal a swirling snow globe in SANTA’s hand. Chubby and plump, a right jolly old elf in red shorts and dark glasses, he pockets his iPhone and leaves the blaring air conditioner for Maui sunshine.

SANTA (CONT’D)

Leliani! You’ve been very naughty.

LEILANI skips up and pecks the old elf. Her grass skirt and floral top rustle in the ocean breeze.

LEILANI

Santa, you made it. We were wondering whether to start the luau without you. And what do you mean, I’ve been naughty?

An elbow: and his belly shakes like a bowlful of jelly.

SANTA

Don’t think I don't know what you've been up to. But I've still got something for my favorite island girl.

He reaches into his magic bag and pulls out a box wrapped in silver foil. Leilani takes and shakes it.

LEILANI

Oooh! I can’t wait to open it. But first a drink. Egg nog?

SANTA

Of course. And don’t forget to put in one of those little umbrellas!

BLACKOUT:

0 comments: