22 April 2009

Why I don't watch CHUCK

  • Watched the pilot and wasn’t taken by it. I thought it was okay, but nothing special. I’ve heard it’s better now, but my first impression stuck.
  • More significantly, the great geek love for Yvonne Strahovski? I don’t get it. She’s pretty enough, whatever. Seemed to be able to read her lines without crossing her eyes and with only a trace of weirdness to her accent. Meh.
  • I’ve already got TV on Monday nights and didn’t want to add more. Could I have recorded Chuck and watched later? Sure. But I have other things to do as well and see my points above.
  • Whereas I was indifferent to the pilot, TheWife actively disliked it. We really try to minimize the number of shows only one of us watches as it leads to scheduling conflicts. We’re each willing to watch a show about which we’re indifferent (or, let it be white noise as we surf the web) if the other enjoys it; not so much with the active dislike.
I’m sure the show is better than its pilot. Most shows are. But…I didn’t like the pilot and all the critics who insist the show is better now did. So…better enough? For me? Possibly, but I don’t care enough to find out.

Maybe when it’s run is complete I’ll get the DVDs from Netflix and realize what I missed. Or I’ll watch a rerun of How I Met Your Mother instead.

4 comments:

sme said...

I love how you carefully thought out your decision not to watch a show. It is ok not to watch shows, you know.

So I just finished season 3 of Buffy, and I like it well enough. What are your thoughts on Angel? Should I start that up too or is it a suck-fest?

R.A. Porter said...

I actually enjoyed it quite a bit. It starts off a little smoother than Buffy, since it doesn't have to do as much work to introduce characters or explain the universe. I think by the end of the first season it was going pretty strong and it stayed pretty strong throughout the run.

sme said...

Wow. I can't believe you let the "suck-fest" line go without attempting a joke. I mean, that's just not like you at all :)

Thanks for the recommendation. I'll check it out. I'm a "sucker" for David Borneanaz. (Too much with the vampire humor, eh?)

Anonymous said...

I agree with sme. You don't have to justify that there is a show on that you don't watch. We all have our own tastes, and lord knows, there are a lot of shows I don't watch, some without anywhere near as many reasons as you have for not watching Chuck.

I wanted to thank you for turning me on to Being Erica. I finally got a chance to catch a couple eps over the weekend, and I enjoyed them quite a bit.