27 June 2007

Busy, so busy: updates

The new job's taking up quite a bit of my time this week, but I did manage to get the Disney-ABC Fellowship application in the mail yesterday! (Actually, wife got it in the mail, but that's splitting hairs.) I've got a first draft complete of my next screenplay - a spec pilot - and it needs quite a bit of work. Sort of sad, as the last spec seemed to fall out almost on one pass (if I discount the months of groundwork, scene creation, and dialog honing that were eventually incorporated - and in some cases pasted - into the final document). Assuming I can get 10-15 hours a week, I should have a final draft of the new spec done by early-mid July.

I'm working on a Mac at the new job, which is an interesting experience. My last time on a Mac was in the early '90s, doing photo manipulations at a pre-press. Developing software on one is...different. Interestingly, it's the server-y things under the hood that are harder than the gui adjustments. I wouldn't have thought, for example, that setting up an NFS export would be so much different from any other *nix. I don't know if that's a BSD issue, or if it's a Mac-on-BSD issue. I suspect the latter.

I'm currently investigating iBatis as a mapping layer. It looks good, but I'm a little concerned that I'll have to jump through extra Spring-y hoops to really take advantage of it. Right now, I'm leaning - about 60/40 - toward just doing straight JDBC in my DAO layer. That 40% is at least enough to investigate, though. It is certainly compelling to move my SQL to configuration files and avoid all the boilerplate of JDBC.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

If it's not Vista, it's OK.

Keep us posted on your thoughts about the Mac.

Oh, and congrats on the job!

Anonymous said...

I hope the new job goes well. It sounds like it will at least be something different for a while which is great.

And congrats on sending off the screenplay. I think it is always more challenging creating your own concept. So I am not at all surprised you are having to work more on it. With the other, you had a firm foundation already so you could hear what the characters should sound like. I am sure the new concept will be great.

Michele