17 April 2008

Disturbing. Disgusting. Dismal.

I've tried three different times to frame this story out of Yale and three different times I've deleted what I've written. Art is dead.

Beginning next Tuesday, Shvarts will be displaying her senior art project, a documentation of a nine-month process during which she artificially inseminated herself “as often as possible” while periodically taking abortifacient drugs to induce miscarriages. Her exhibition will feature video recordings of these forced miscarriages as well as preserved collections of the blood from the process.
via Warren Ellis (and I think this might even have shocked him a bit)

5 comments:

mikeo75 said...

Seriously...WTF is wrong with people?

Someone actually did this?

R.A. Porter said...

Apparently. Unless the "art" is really just lying about it to see what sorts of responses it generates.

I've got a pretty high tolerance for weirdness, but this goes over the top even for me.

mikeo75 said...

She says in that article that this wasn't for "shock value"...

I've never heard such BS in my entire life.

It's disgusting...a cube wrapped in cellophane with still liquid blood from miscarriages inbetween the layers?

Something like this almost seems criminal to me, but I guess that's another topic.

2old4this said...

We can only hope that this project does leave her sterile.

Red said...

Wow...bizarre, creepy and gross. Even those words don't seem to capture my true feelings on this.