20 April 2008

Forgetting Sarah Marshall

Quick thoughts:

  • Mila Kunis. When the hell did she become gorgeous and sweet instead of vapid and annoying? Crap. I want to date Meg Griffin now.
  • If someone can convince Steve Whitmire to stop doing his shitty Kermit voice, the next Muppet movie is going to rock*.
Saw Forgetting Sarah Marshall this afternoon and was really impressed with the confidence of Jason Segal's screenplay and performance. Well, it's not like I was surprised at all by his performance; I know he's fearless. I just didn't know he'd be that sure and confident in his first screenplay out of the gate.

This was the best movie out of the Apatow factory since 40 Year Old Virgin, no exaggeration. Funny, sweet, and honest from the first frame to the last. Segal wrote several of the songs in the film as well, and that bodes really well for his upcoming Muppet flick. I'm not sure he's got a "Rainbow Connection" in him, but competent, singable songs would be good enough for me. Also? I think he's going to find a way to move Count Count to the big screen. I just sense it.

*Seriously. Go to any open mike night and odds are you can find a half-dozen comics who do better Kermits (and Ernies, etc.) than Whitmire. Either he needs to call it a day, or Brian and Lisa Henson need to shelve their old man's characters.

2 comments:

Michael Brownlee said...

I saw this over the weekend and really enjoyed it. I agree that it's the best outing since Virgin. And Kristin Bell, wow. Just. Wow. I think I'd have taken her back. Or at least finished what she started there at the end.

R.A. Porter said...

I see where you're going there, but Mila Kunis...

(I never in my life thought I'd be comparing Mila Kunis with Kristin Bell, let alone finding Mila coming out *ahead*.)