23 June 2006

Union Yes!

I guess in future I need to be more clear ...

I don't think athletes are paid too much. For those who do, scroll down a bit and see my suggestions on how to "fix" that, ignoring the sarcasm I failed to emphasize enough. What I do think is that management has succeeded too well in shoving it down our throats that salaries are sacred knowledge to be kept private. If you really think it's crass to tell someone what you make, you've bought the management line. It's like being a quiet and meek little doormat because the Church told you you'd inherit the Earth.

Only by having a clear picture of the market can one hope to maximize one's earning potential. You can't know how badly paid you are if you don't know what your peers are making.

I could go on (and on, and on) about the similar methods capitalists and religious leaders use to consolidate power and diffuse threats to their hegemony, but I'll leave that as an exercise for the reader. In fact, here's this weekend's assignment:

Jesus taught that "[i]t is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God." [Mark 10:25] The Medicis produced many cardinals and three popes. Explain the apparent conflict and its possible resolutions. Possible subtopics and discussion avenues include the concentration of wealth in the medieval church, the importance of indulgences in the construction of cathedrals, and the notion of karma in Buddhism.

0 comments: