24 February 2007

Once More, With Feeling



The musical episode of Scrubs a few weeks back reminded me of the far superior OMWF episode of Buffy. Somewhere, I've got a bootleg cd that a guy I know made the night it aired off the broadcast audio, but I couldn't find it and figured I'd toss a few extra bucks Joss' way since he done lost the WW gig. Finally got around to placing an Amazon order this week and it arrived on Thursday.

Friday morning, the cd supplanted my bootleg of Dean Gray's American Edit in the batmobile's player and I cruised to work groovin' on the mixed bag that is this semi-masterpiece.

Turns out the weakest voices are the heart of the Buffyverse - Buffy, Xander, and Willow. I mean, they're game and give it the old college try, and they manage to hit all of their notes in approximately the correct order...but the arrangements are carefully tailored to their limitations. That's good. Not being forced outside of their comfort zones - about a fifth for Nicholas Brendon - allows the three to do their parts professionally and not embarrass themselves. The heavy lifting is left to the three talented singers - Tara, Spike, and especially Giles.

Anthony takes after his brother Murray, don't you know.

And here he is doing something a little bit different...Sweet Transvestite

0 comments: