27 February 2007

Phoenix is Great...if you're retired

Staffing season is coming up, but I'm going to watch it slide on by. I've got about 10 hours left on the first draft of one spec (then another 10 or 15 hours of polish) and haven't even decided what show to spec for the second. It's March in two days, so the odds of (lazy) me getting the two specs finished and picked up by an agent are exactly nil. So I'll be even lazier and get back to work on those much later.

That means at least another year in software, which would be fine if I lived somewhere where people actually wrote software. PHX is not a tech center. My job choices are

  • crappy company where I am now: pay is very good for the valley, writing a PoS* ecomm system
  • crappy company X: pay would be lower than now, commute worse, and odds are I'd still just be writing a PoS ecomm system
  • crappy company Y: see above
And just to put this into perspective, I don't have an X or a Y or anything else on the hook. I've got my job, and feelers out to others...all of which seem to have no interest in me. Back in NorCal, I'd have options. Here? I'm overqualified for just about every tech position in the Phoenix Metro area, so I'm stuck at a job that makes me homicidal, pinning my hopes on hitting the tv-writing lottery, but not being particularly proactive about that.
* Piece of Shit

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hmmm, nope, sorry, I can't feel sorry for you, try as I might.
You drive around in a car that costs more than two years of my gross pay. Yet, you have the free time to read novels, watch TV, and do this blog and other writings.
It seems to me that you have a life the majority of people would kill for.
Not blaming you. You deserve these things, as you are damn smart and have made generally better life decisions than I have. Still, you really don't have much to whine about.
Suck it up and get back to writing mean shit :)