19 June 2008

SciFi channel reschedules and retargets

I've got a new piece up at Pop Critics on SciFi's recent decision to reschedule Charlie Jade in the ever-popular Monday 3am slot.

I can’t be too upset by this. Clearly the show was underperforming on Friday nights and the programming wizards at SciFi needed to move it. What impresses me is the depth of analysis they performed to figure out its new home. Who knew Charlie Jade did so well with insomniacs and people who buy Flowbies?
Mostly, I discuss what SciFi did wrong and why they might have done some of that intentionally. I also prognosticate on the future of that channel and the future of science fiction on television.

Please click over and read and comment. If you're a social networking type, go ahead and forward that link to your friends, Digg it, Stumble it, etc.