23 April 2007

Can't get out soon enough

Due to some unforeseen server issues, no software development can be done today. No access to source control, no access to global libraries, a pretty complete standstill. Our cornerstone application is in QA right now, so bossy-man suggests we focus on testing it. "Do we have a test plan?" queries yours truly. "No." Of course.

Okydoky. I "tested". Mind you, I don't even know how this app works, or what it's edge conditions are: I write infrastructure, not applications. Still, I "tested". I ran it through its paces, gleefully pressing buttons with little to no regard for what they did or were supposed to do. Unless I saw an error pop up, from my perspective all was well.

No test plan = No can test.

This has got to be the dumbest place I've ever worked, and that's not even counting the functionally retarded chick* in my department who was rewarded for having everyone else do her job by getting thanks and flowers from management.



* Not 100% sure of this, but I'd be willing to lay some serious money on a sub-70 IQ if anyone wants to bet.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

How stupid is someone who can get everyone else to do her work for her, and then get credit for it beyond what the other workers get for their labors?
She's either a genius or swallows.
Or both.

R.A. Porter said...

A little different. She badgers everyone else with her inane questions, ever so slowly modifying her application with each answer. It's not that she's not working hard, it's that she's running about like a headless chicken all day, every day, and never absorbing any knowledge.

It would be like a four-year-old making pancakes. They'd keep asking mommy or daddy questions - "what's a teaspoon?" "what's 'beat' mean?" - until they'd finished. The result would probably be quite dense and overcooked, but would technically be "pancakes". The sad fact is that the four-year-old would have a better chance of recalling the meaning of "beat" than my co-"worker" has of recalling anything we tell her.