18 April 2007

The Riches: A Wealth of Headline Puns



FX ran a marathon of the first four episodes of The Riches last Friday and I figured I'd have the TiVo grab them. We weren't sure we'd be too interested, but could spare one hour for the pilot and have the rest around just in case. Four hours later...

Okay. I'm coming way late to the Eddie Izzard party, I know, but damn why didn't anyone tell me he's a frickin' genius?! Or did I just not listen?

Izzard plays Wayne Malloy: father; husband; Traveller. The ever-appealing (and sexier by the year) Minnie Driver stars as his wife and mother to their three children. Fortunately, I had enough secondhand knowledge of Izzard's career to appreciate his cross-dressing youngest son. From my limited exposure so far, the artist of whom Izzard most reminds me is Ricky Gervais. Like Gervais, there's a real pathos underlying even his zaniest moments and great intelligence in all his choices. Wayne is a "half-breed" - abandoned by his mother when his father died, left to be raised by Jesuits and bandits - on the run from his extended family and sociopathic cousin Dale, the new Malloy patriarch. He pines for his lost, idealized youth amongst the "buffers" and thinks he's found a way to steal that life back.

Some mighty bad driving by a tool in a Beemer lets Wayne, Dahlia, and their children steal the lives of Doug and Cherien Rich. While Wayne does have some big shoes to fill (literally: Izzard's stature is always a visual element and he is filmed to make his 5'7" frame seem much smaller) a lifetime of conning and conniving have well-prepared him for his new role of lawyer. A quick 18 holes here, some Russian roulette there, and Doug Rich has a nice, cushy gig as in-house council. Well, not cushy or there wouldn't be much story here, would there?

Dale's still tracking Wayne, crazy Ginny Dannegan wants to marry her...slightly slow...cousin to Wayne's daughter to forge an alliance with the Malloys, new boss Hugh Panetta is a gun-toting asshole, Dahlia's got some bad habits left over from her time in the stir, and the kids aren't sold on the notion of school. Life might have been easier in their RV.

Special kudos to Dmitry Lipkin who created this original and brilliant show. It's pretty rare for someone to become a show runner without any television experience, but he's made the transition from the stage seamlessly.

Watch this show. Catch up quickly, here, then watch this show.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear you are coming to see Eddie Izzard genius just now. He is an amazingly talented guy.

I have been watching The Riches and am really enjoying it. A good cast with an original premise. I am looking forward to seeing where it will go. And I am hopeful that FX will give a decent shot.

Have you tried Drive? Nathan Fillion & Amy Acker are in it. Tim Minear is writing and producing. All of Joshverse. So far, it is definitely fun. Though given it is Fox, they will probably kill it before it even has 5 episodes. *shakes head*

Michele

Anonymous said...

AAACK!
"Beemer" is the motorcyle. The car is a "Bimmer."
As a motorcyclist, I am deeply offended, but will forgive you.

R.A. Porter said...

Michele: I've got the pilot and second episodes of Drive recorded, but we've been a little behind on tv this week. Figure we'll get to them this weekend. Anything with Capt. Mal! :)

Brian: I am so sorry. Definitely not trying to offend, as I have much envy for their bikes. Unfortunately, I also have much wife.

Anonymous said...

Nobody ever listens to me :(

Several of Eddie's standup shows are on youtube, they make a good cheap-date night when we're too lazy to go to the mailbox for the netflix.

I'd swear David Brent actually references Izzard either by name or act in The Office, but lent my copy to some schmuck who hasn't given it back to check for sure.

-Cake or death!
-uh, death... no, no wait... cake.
-Too late! you said death! Ah, just kidding... here you go.
(scene from the Episcopal Inquisition)

R.A. Porter said...

[Checking pants pockets for The Office dvds] Whew! It's a different schmuck!

Well I'm definitely sold on Eddie now, if that's any consolation. But I don't think you've ever tried pitching him to me. Then again, I never listen to you.