11 April 2007

An old, comfortable tennis Shue


Who'd have thought Ralph Macchio wasn't the crazy one in Karate Kid? At no point has Daniel san ever said he wanted to set aside acting and focus on being a professional martial artist. Yet here's my favorite Harvard dropout1, thinking she's going to compete.

That's right. Elizabeth Shue has been "training so hard, now [she] feel[s] like more of a tennis player than an actress." Really? 'Cause you're awfully straight-backed in these "action" shots. I'll allow that the current crop of females aren't too deep - see Martina Hingis' return if you need evidence - but they're all about power, and I just don't see a lot of uncoiling in those pics. It would be different if our adventurous babysitter had some touch, but those are some flat looking shots.

Then again, she apparently beat Jon Lovitz in a celebrity tourney. I mean, once you've bested Jay Sherman, where else can you go but the pros?



1 Billy is way down on that list, and Ballmer graduated. (It apparently doesn't take much to get outta Cambridge.)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

To paraphrase, have you seen her work? She's easily more of a tennis player than actress. Probably also more of a truck driver, or waitress.

Oh wait, I might be thinking of her brother, who was more of a soccer player than an actor.

R.A. Porter said...

Dude. I saw Leaving Las Vegas. I've seen her work, and they're magnificent.

And I'd hire her to act even if her brother weren't in HR.