11 April 2007

Phoenix is not a software town

Four and a half hours ago I went to bed. Early? Sure. But I'm so perpetually depressed I see little point in bothering to stay awake. Unfortunately, I'm also so perpetually pissed off that I was unable to fall asleep. So here I sit, my alarm set for five hours hence, wondering when I might get a few minutes sleep.

Piece of advice for anyone who hasn't become dessicated by old age: don't move to Arizona.

I did. Now I'm stuck.

Maybe it's an okay place to live if you're in construction or make your living designing golf courses, or like to run MLMs. I don't know. I do know it's about as shitty a place for a software engineer as can be imagined. It's not Montana-bad. There, there are just no jobs, so no one would even consider moving there. It's India-bad. There are a lot of jobs, but they're all shit and pay accordingly.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Review my reply to your previous whine on this subject.
Ya got nothing to bitch about.

R.A. Porter said...

Yes, well, are you looking at taking a job 800 miles away and flying back and forth just so you don't lose your mind? There are advantages here, but from a career perspective, the disadvantages outweigh them quite a bit.