14 August 2007

Gone, and soon forgotten



I've avoided saying anything about Karl Rove, but I'm tired of this continuation of the meme that he's some sort of evil supergenius. He's evil - in a banal, self-serving, modern GOP way - but he's no genius. He didn't figure out how to game the system; he didn't reinvent politics. And he's probably not going to have a big political comeback.



Karl Rove is the Moneymaker of the Bush administrations. A poor gamesman who doesn't really understand the game he's playing who got on a ridiculous hot streak for awhile. He's the "Crazy Internet Qualifier" of political hacks.

That's not to say he didn't have some big wins and do some of the most egregious things this country's ever seen from a political operative. I'm just saying most of his efforts have been clumsy, telegraphed, and shown the insight of drawing out a gutshot straight for a pot-sized bet. Lucky (and frumpy). Not brilliant.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Like rain on your wedding day brilliant, mofo:

Q: I've been a HUGE fan of yours for a long time, but please stop with the poker analogies. It's one thing to use one, though it's overused all the time in the media. It's another thing to mess it up! When you hold two cards of one suit in your hand and flop two more cards of that suit, you don't have only a 25 percent chance of hitting your flush; you have around a 36 percent chance! This explains why you're not very good at poker! Please stop with the poker analogies!
--John, San Jose

SG: This is my new favorite pastime -- to slightly screw up poker analogies to see how many e-mails I can get from the poker freaks. Missing those percentages by a mere 11 percent triggered nearly 600 e-mails. I felt like I just lost on a straight flush because somebody flopped a full house.

--Thanks, that really made me laugh.

Anonymous said...

Youe buddy James Carville begs to differ.
Making assumptions here that James is your buddy, but I don't see how a die hard Dem like yourself couldn't love the guy.
Might surprise you to learn that I don't like Rove. I do not like the direction that the Republicans have gone and blame Rove in part (J.C. blames him entirely it seems).

R.A. Porter said...

Carville is a cross between the Crypt Keeper, Leatherface, and every bad stereotype of a southerner I've ever seen. The guy's a tool.

And he's a good chunk of the problem with the modern Dems.