03 May 2007

Ill-trained thieves roam these lands

Apologizing in advance for providing TMI...
I just got back from lunch at my usual restaurant. Before I left there, I needed to make use of their facilities, so I went into the restroom and put my book and glasses - in their case - on the vanity and made haste to make waste.

A moment or two later, I stepped out of the stall and went to wash my hands - cleanliness is next to godliness, after all - and found my glasses-case open and empty on top of my book. Barring the possibility of a prank by a waiter (I really go to this place a lot), some nimrod absconded with my glasses, but left the case. So...

  1. Someone wanted my butt-ugly Versaces with prescription lenses
  2. He (it was the men's room, so I'm pretty confident my pronoun choice is good) didn't want the case
  3. He took the time to open the case and examine the glasses instead of just the safer grab 'n' go
  4. He had no interest in my book*
Mind you, I am irritated by this, but more in principal than anything else. While I do use my glasses in order to minimize eye strain and headaches, since zap-zap a few years ago I have perfect vision. Also, I have hated these frames since the day I wore them longer than five minutes. My great hope is that my very particular and discriminating thief keeps the frames and wears them. That might be the greatest punishment of all!


* I mention this for completeness, but let's be real: a tool who steals a pair of prescription glasses probably doesn't need them; he's more likely functionally illiterate.

0 comments: