05 July 2008

Wiping my hands of my first draft

Well. About a day behind where I wanted to be, I finished the first draft of my Pushing Daisies spec on Friday afternoon. Sent it over to TheWife for her first blush take and her comments weren't too devastating. I failed to capture the Narrator's unique voice and didn't push the more colorful of the guest characters to a great enough extreme for PD.

I put it aside for a day. Veg'd last night, prepped my Charlie Jade recap for Monday night, and just hung out with TheWife and the dogs.

Finished my first light readthrough of it a few minutes ago and...I failed to capture the Narrator's unique voice and didn't push the more colorful of the guest characters enough. So a) good that I don't think it's worse than TheWife does and b) super-happy I don't have structural problems. Phew!

So, tomorrow...I think I'll start out with a mini-marathon of PD. First I'll re-read the scripts I have, then I'll watch another two or three episodes. Try to get a better feel for Jim Dale's cadences. Then...rewriting.

I'm actually really happy. Other than these niggling problems (alright, blowing the Narrator on PD is not exactly "niggling") this is a solid screenplay. I'm going to be happy to send this out later in the week for initial feedback and think I'm going to be proud as a new poppa to submit this for ABC-Disney.

Who knows? Maybe this'll be the year I can take a massive cut in pay for the Fellowship!