31 August 2006

Cap is old and bitter!


Picking up this week's Nerdographs, I was walking past the TPs and saw Earth X in a new trade edition. As I'd never read it, I thought it might be cool to pick up. If nothing else, there was the Alex Ross cover (original, shown above, for sale for $8K) and sketches inside. I'd heard good things about the story, too, so I thought I'd give it a shot. I was not disappointed.

I started reading a bit late last night - I had the week's haul to go over first, including Justice #7 - so I only managed to get about halfway through. So far, it's a good story with some interesting takes on most of the characters. While I'm much more familiar with the DCU, I do know the basics of the Marvel multiverse. What Ross, Jim Krueger, and John Paul Leon delivered is impressive in its breadth, but somehow manages to be more than a compendium of characters.

So far, the takes on Hulk and Cyclops(?!?) have really impressed me. That's quite an achievement, since I've never found Cyclops to be anything but a complete tool. Here, he's older, wiser, and shockingly mellowed. I'll be inhaling the rest of the book tonight and imagine I'll run out this weekend to pick up Universe X and Paradise X as well.

4 comments:

Angela said...

I just watched the animated movie Ultimate Avengers recently...not as good as the old G.I. Joe movie, but not as bad as the old Transformers movie.

I always thought Cyclops was a whiny, arrogant, hotheaded bitch. Wolverine, on the other hand, is seriously macho.

R.A. Porter said...

Bah. Wolverine is macho the same way Tom Cruise is macho. Short, whiny, and hops around a lot. I can just picture him going on Oprah to profess his love for Jean...

Of course in his puny case, he's need a fastball special to make it up onto the couch...

Angela said...

Wolverine is sooo much better than that nutjob!

For starters, he wouldn't use the term "glib". Wolverine'd be like, "Matt, Matt, Matt, you're fucking loquacious. You don't even know what Ritalin fucking is. Fuck you. (spits)"

R.A. Porter said...

So you're telling me Wolverine knows the history of psychiatry? I mean, the dude could use some anger counseling, I'll grant that...but he doesn't even know his own history...