10 October 2007

It's just a Jump to the left...

I'm shocked (and a little embarrassed) to say that this trailer for Jumper really excited me. First off, I've been a fan of Doug Liman since Go (I consider his work on Swingers to be secondary to Fav's great, great screenplay.) Second, the efx look really cool. This is a bit more like what Nightcrawler should have looked like in X2.

The shock comes from not vomiting over the presence of Anacan'tact Skywalker or Rachel Bilson (I think she's horribly overrated as both actress and "hot young thing".) And for those of you who think Hayden's problem was the poor writing and direction of George Lucas, I submit to you Shattered Glass, in which he was all sorts of bad amongst another very solid cast.

If Liman somehow found a way to get something resembling a performance out of Drab Vader, this movie could be all kinds of fun.

2 comments:

sme said...

Wasn't Go awesome?

Thanks for the link to the preview. It looks.....um, iffy.

R.A. Porter said...

I can't disagree too much. It stars Hayden, after all. But after a summer of block-borers, I would be pleased to see a "smaller" SF/action flick, directed by a competent hand (unlike say, Michael Bay) surprise in the winter box office.

I gather that the source book is pretty popular and looks like it got some decent critical praise as a YA book. I'll be interested to see if the movie at least lives up to the trailer.