17 October 2007

"We didn't free the rednecks just so they would have nothing to do."

The Assimilated Negro has a guest post on Deadspin today about Rick Clark's dream of getting some of those black and latino entertainment dollars into the hands of Miller-sippin', tabacky-chawin', left-hand-turn-makin' rednecks. Good stuff.

Also, I think about the ease with which anyone can play basketball, baseball, football. That seems natural to me. All you have to do is round up some people and a ball. NASCAR, on the other hand, is a sport that requires rounding up an army and invading another country for fuel.

Sooooo, look, I don't want to be a hater. Really! NASCAR deserves its little bit of space. We didn't free the rednecks just so they would have nothing to do. But not every dreg of American culture needs diversification. Maybe if I'm properly "edutained" and watch cars go in circles for 5 hours I might change my mind, but for now I'm going to stay working on my Jessica Biel audition tapes and advising fellow Minority-Americans (awwww, that means all of us) to hold tight and not buy their 4-year-old a race car just yet. At least wait until 2009 when we get our 2 trillion dollars. Then you'll have enough to throw some rims on that piece. Or as Mr. Clark prefer to call them, "urban hubcaps."

1 comments:

Beckylooo said...

Thanks for hippin' me to this. Hilarity.